Announcement of Job Opportunity
Shine Learning Center is a Self-Directed Education community that serves young people and
their families. Shine Learning Center cultivates a safe, inclusive space where young people
have the autonomy to engage in meaningful learning experiences and unlimited free play in a
Shine is hiring a part-time facilitator to work with its students (roughly ages
6-13) and in partnership with the rest of the program’s team, students, and parents.
Facilitators act as models, space-holders, and mentors of self-directed living and intentional
culture creation. Above all, facilitators need to be grounded in the perspective of trusting
children, partnership-based relationships, and personal responsibility.
Basics: terms, hours, compensation
● This part-time facilitator role would be primarily fulfilled on two days a week, Monday
and Wednesday from the hours of 9am to 4pm.
● The term of employment begins on September 12, 2022 and will conclude June 7th,
● Compensation is $20-$50 an hour DOE.
This is the perfect role for you if...
● You have experience cultivating authentic, respectful, and partnership-based
relationships with people of all ages
● You will take great joy in leading a small group of mixed-aged students that meets each
day to connect, explore, play, and grow
● You are a passionate, curious, and joyful person with a variety of interests and
abilities that you will enjoy sharing with young people through offerings made at our
Set-the-Week meeting and through spontaneous, self-organized activities
● Ability to lead by example; never rely on positional authority
● You are excited to practice the art of “maximum support with minimal interference” in
the context of working with young people
● You understand and are aligned with the basic principles of Self-Directed Education
● You are comfortable self-starting, adapting to changing circumstances, not always
having the answer, navigating interpersonal relationships, coordinating logistics, and
communicating effectively in multiple forms
● You are, yourself, self-directed: you don’t need to be told what to do in order to be
productive in your role; you can notice what needs to be done and take action, while
communicating effectively with team members along the way
● Unschooled or previously enrolled at a Self-Directed Education community
● Prior experience with alternative education models
● Prior experience working with young people in outdoor settings (e.g. adventure
playground, forest school, nature school, outdoor summer camp)
● Skilled at any of the following: animator, artist, dancer, writer, engineer, martial artist,
● You can speak multiple languages
● Always arrive fully prepared, on-time, and eager to support Learners
● Serve as a Facilitator, guide, mentor, cheerleader, and confidant to all Learners
● Be a paragon of positivity; never embarrass, insult, yell at, or shame a Learner
● Co-create culture with Learners and other Facilitators in an environment focused on
autonomy, trust, connection, curiosity, play, and inclusivity
● Serve as a role model inside and outside of Shine
● Be responsive to the questions and needs of Shine Learners and their families
● Participate in brainstorming sessions, learning center improvements, and research
How to Apply:
If you have not already done so, read through and explore:
Agile LearningCenters website and starter kit https://agilelearningcenters.org/
The Shine Learning Center website https://www.shinelearningcenter.org
The Alliance for Self-Directed Education website https://www.self-directed.org/sde/
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and send:
● A video of you sharing more about yourself, your experience/background, and why
you’re excited about the idea of joining the team at Shine Learning Center. In your
video, please answer the following questions:
○ How did you hear about this opportunity at Shine Learning Center?
○ What unique skills and perspectives would you bring to our community?
○ Why you are a great fit for Shine?
○ How does deschooling and/or Self-Directed Education look in your life lately?
● A very simple written outline of your work/life/learning experiences (no formal
● Links to any other work or creative projects you’ve contributed to and are proud of
● Candidates from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply. Shine
Learning Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, gender
identity, sexual orientation, culture, religion, nor national or ethnic origin.